Friday, October 2, 2009

If Jesus Were My Son

Or rather what if Mary had a baby with Down syndrome... would she have asked her son Jesus to take away it away?

I’ve already said what I would do if given the choice but I wonder what would Mary do? She didn’t mind asking him for a little wine to get him started on his long train of miracles... And what’s a bit of wine compared to an extra chromosome?

Jesus cured a lot of things. Some of them were probably congenital defects. Nobody brought a person with Down syndrome to Jesus for healing. Were there no children with Down syndrome around? Was in not considered something that needed fixing?

In Mark chapter 8, a few verses after Jesus heals a blind man, he has this to say, “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” What would I gain if Kimani’s Ds was gone? What would she gain? What might she lose?

I am thinking that Mary would not have asked Jesus for this “miracle” because... well... wine isn’t very life-changing. I am sure that throughout her time with Jesus there were probably many, say more meaningful, things she could have asked him for. Surely she knew people who were dealing with sickness, or infertility, or some other life-altering sorrow but when it came down to it, she asked for wine at a wedding.

Wine? Really? Come on... this was his MOM, she had an IN...

But maybe she already knew that her son’s miracles were more about lessons to be learned and majesty to be shown than “normalcy” to be gained.

Maybe I am wrong about Mary. Maybe I don’t really have a clue what she would do. Maybe I should head over to Seedlings In Stone and leave a comment so I can win the book she’s giving away this week, The Real Mary by Scot McKnight.

2 comments:

Far Above Rubies said...

You always leave me speechless. Just when I think I understand - you happen.

Have I told you lately how much you mean to me? I hope I have!!!! xoxox

L.L. Barkat said...

So thought-provoking. As always. (When you aren't making me laugh.)

Hey, speaking of laughing... that painting... oh my... :)

Post a Comment

Go ahead, say it.